718 total views
718 total views
A compilation of photos of Fitzroy’s Gas Lamps
Post expires at 14:58 on Friday 8 August 2031
1,199 total views
The Fitzroy Club Hotel was at 382 Brunswick Street, east side just north of Rose Street. Today the building is occupied by Sheila Vintage Clothing.
After its name change from the Eglinton Hotel in 1891, early licensees were Francis Bennett (1893), Sarah Keyson (1894), Susan Stevens (1895), Theresa Dwyer (1897), Nellie Allen (1898), Ada Quinlist (1899), Mary Ann Noel (1900), Margaret Hancock (1901), Mrs S Mackay (1904), Charles Joyce (1905-08). It was delicensed and the building sold in 1916.
The Evelyn Observer (Whittlesea) reported on the annual sports day in Feb 1905:
A social was held in the local hall at night. Mr Francis, of Fitzroy, presided at the piano, and Mr P. Glennon made an efficient M C. Mr C Joyce, of the Fitzroy Club Hotel, Brunswick.street, lent most valuable aid, his songs “The man that struck the gold mine in Coolgardie” and “The Golden Wedding” being loudly applauded. M.M.
Description: 1905 Image held by Fitzroy Library. Charlie Joyce, Proprietor. Taken from the Collingwood and Fitzroy illustrated Directory and Handbook, 1905.
Subject: hotels & taverns
Phone: 1300 695 427
851 total views
War Service of Fitzroy Citizens Before the First World War (PDF – 4 pages): Research Article by M.P.J. O’Brien
The Fitzroy Historical Society is delighted to provide you with the research article and wishes to thank
Mr M. O’Brien for allowing us to share it with our members
546 total views